You learned in the last lesson that you have the personal power to release your emotional pain through forgiveness. All you need to do is follow the exercises. Take them one step at a time.
In this lesson you’ll begin your journey by aligning your beliefs to your goal of releasing all that pain. You’ll do this by giving direct messages to your subconscious mind. This lays the foundation for the other exercises which follow.
Give Your Subconscious Mind Directions
You may not know it, but your subconscious mind runs your life. You know those things you do automatically? That’s your subconscious mind at work making your life easier.
Your subconscious mind can also make life difficult when it’s working with outdated information. That information was great when you were a child. It may have been exactly what you wanted last week, but this week you need something different.
You can upgrade the data in your subconscious mind easily by telling it the following:
- How you want your life to look
- What you want to hear from others and yourself
- The types of feelings you want to have
- What smells you want
- What you want to taste
Just like a software upgrade for a particular program, this upgrade is for a specific belief. You’re going to be installing within your subconscious mind the beliefs (the software) you need to achieve your goal of eliminating the painful past from your life.
Upgrading The Beliefs In Your Subconscious Mind
There are two steps to upgrading your beliefs. The first is identifying the beliefs you want to change. The second step is deciding what beliefs you want to place within your subconscious mind.
In Module 1 you explored why it’s difficult to release the pain from the past. This difficulty may be due to thoughts and feelings based upon beliefs about forgiveness. It’s important to identify these old beliefs.
Examples of old beliefs to upgrade are:
- Why do I have to forgive? They’re the ones who hurt me.
- If I forgive them, they’ll have power to hurt me again.
- I don’t deserve to forgive myself.
Determine Your New Belief
Identify the new belief you want as your upgrade. Your new belief is a variation of the opposite of the old belief.
Using the old beliefs above you’ll want to upgrade to:
- I forgive so that I’ll have inner peace.
- Forgiveness allows me to have control over my life.
- When I forgive, the one who hurt me stays out of my thoughts.
- I deserve to have the peace which comes from releasing the past.
You might notice these new beliefs resemble affirmations. Use the process below to install your affirmations into your subconscious mind.
Install Your New Beliefs
Your subconscious mind only understands concrete information. If you use abstract words such as “forgive” and “love,” your subconscious mind needs cues from your five senses to tell it what you mean.
Let’s go through the process step-by-step:
1. Write down the belief you want. For this example, we’ll use “I forgive so I’ll have inner peace.” Both “forgive” and “inner peace” are abstract concepts.
- Write out two things you’ll see in your life when forgiveness brings inner peace. This needs to be something you’ll see as if you were watching a video or looking at a photo.
- Perhaps inner peace means you can now go to a restaurant you’ve avoided because you didn’t want to see your ex. You’d write out in sensory detail what going to the restaurant looks like.
- “We’re at My Favorite Pizza. (sight) The smell of pizza cooking in the over is yeasty. (smell) My mouth waters. (tactile) My friends and I are laughing. (sound) The pizza is hot and spicy just as I like it. (taste & touch) Everyone there is smiling and eating.”
2. What will you overhear people saying about you when this belief is active in your life? The comments are about what people notice about you now that you’re at peace.
- “I haven’t seen her looking this relaxed in ages!”
- “Look at that smile on his face!”
3. What will you say about yourself?
- “It’s great to be able to have fun again!”
4. What are you feeling? This will be an emotion which is abstract. You’ll give concrete examples giving your subconscious mind a way to identify the emotion. (Examples follow.) First identify the feeling. We’ll use the example of “happy:”
- Think of a time you last felt that emotion. When I hit the home run
- Where did you feel it in your body? In my head
- What color is the feeling? Yellow
- What’s its shape? A fountain
- What’s its texture? Rough
- What does it smell like? Like newly mowed grass
- What does it taste like? Peppermint
- What’s its temperature? Warm
The Secret That Few People Know
Once you’ve filled in all the information, say the belief to yourself and, while speaking it, tap on your forehead three times, then your heart three times.
This “awakens” your brain and your heart to recognize the belief and store it in your subconscious mind.
Now that you know how to install new beliefs in your subconscious mind, fill out the worksheet from your Additional Resources box for the beliefs listed. Make copies of the worksheets so you can use them whenever you need.
After the beliefs are installed, move to the next exercise to learn how to change the way you think.
Use the worksheet in your Additional Resources box for this lesson to install the following beliefs. Make as many copies of the worksheet as needed.
- I achieve peace when I forgive.
- Forgiveness puts me in control of my life.
- Forgiveness releases my emotional pain.
- I deserve to forgive myself.
- When I forgive, I have the energy to live a new life.
Worksheet to Install Beliefs
Fill this in as completely as you can with as much sensory detail as possible. The more vivid your response the more your subconscious mind knows what you mean by the belief.
- What will I see in my life when the belief is installed?
- What’s another thing I’ll see in my life when the belief is installed?
- What will people say about me when this belief is installed?
- What will I say about myself when this belief is installed?
- What feeling will I have when this belief is installed?
- Think of a time you last felt that emotion.
- Where do you feel it in your body?
- What color is the feeling?
- What is its shape?
- What is its texture?
- Does it have a smell? What?
- Does it have a taste? What?
- What is its temperature?6. As you repeat your new belief out loud, tap three times on your forehead and your heart.